Monday, March 10, 2008

Fire Up

Tri-Tip and Bratwurst on the Grill


I know that many parts of the country were buried in snow and crushed with poor weather, but the San Francisco Bay Area had just a perfect weekend and it gave me the opportunity to go to my favorite spot with no wait, good food and healthy cocktails.

It was official opening of Barbeque season and the backyard was reopened. For my wife and I it was very exciting with a new deck, patio and landscaping added in the off season. My wife was outside early doing a little yard work and sprucing up the area, I joined in later as most of the yard work was coming to a close, but by noon the backyard was ready to entertain.

In most of my posts, I give a recommendation of a restaurant or bar, but today it is a meat market. For those of already having a drink, I mean a butcher not a place to pick up people. So after completing the final task of the Sunday clean-up, getting the grill cleaned and prep, I headed over to
Joe Scalise Jr & Sons Butcher to pick up a marinated a tri-tip and a couple of Smoked Sheboygan Bratwurst. There is nothing like a good butcher that can make your grilling experience even better. The staff at Scalise will give you tips and cut of meat that the number of guest you will be serving.

For me the consistency of the Tri-tip at Scalise is why I continue to go back. The cut and weight are very close every time. This is important because I can grill by time and not have to watch the grill every minute. This gives you time to talk to guest and enjoy a cocktail. Yesterday, was Margaritas with fresh lime juice.

On a side note: The Smoked Sheboygan Bratwurst that Scalise carries are just awesome, I stock up every football season for the tailgate. If you are into good sausages the Brawts at our local butcher are hard to beat. Scalise also makes it own Italian Sausage, if you’re making Sunday Gravy a must ingredient.

As the Barbeque season begins to heat up my trips to Scalise will be more frequent. Happy grilling.

Cheers