Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Old Standby




Just like anything in life, we have things we like to experiment with and some things we always fall back to out of comfort. A favorite t-shirt, a date buddy (someone that you can always call-on), and places we go to to eat, drink and be merry.


I tend to write about new places that I have tried in the last couple of days, but this past weekend I went back to a couple places that are tried and true. Places were you feel comfortable and treated like you are the friend of the owner. Think of "Cheers" without Sam Malone/Ted Danson.

On Friday Night, after sailing (opening of the season, very happy) and a few cocktails at the Fireside, my buddy and I traveled across the street to Nations Giant Hamburgers on Webster Street in Alameda. It had been a while, since I stop into the old burger joint and much of it had not changed over the years. It a simple menu, big old greasy burgers, but for a moment it brought me back to the countless runs we made to Nations for burgers over the past 20 years. These are burgers have all the fixings and my option of grilled onions and pickels. Fries and pie round out the menu. After midnight this is a great stop, not the best burger I have ever had, but a lot of memories waiting for my burger to come up. Some of the memories are little more difficult after some very late nights.

On Saturday, headed into McGees Bar and Grill on Park Street in Alameda. Owners John and Linda Costello are great people and treat every customer with care. Tim, the bar manager always calls me by name and looks to see if I have a drink. The NCAA Basketball games were on so it was a full house. McGees has a great pub menu burgers, wings, fries and few items with a slight mexican slant. I end up at McGees more often than I will admit because of their diverse menu. You don't need to know what you want until your are ready to order. McGees has a full bar and is well worth a stop.

Nations http://www.nationsrestaurants.com/

McGees
http://www.mcgeesbarandgrill.com/

See old review of Fireside
http://cocktailcocktailscocktails.blogspot.com/2007/12/fireside.html