Thursday, May 29, 2008

Alameda Institution


The other night I headed over to 1645 Park Street, many of you may not know the building by address but if you live in Alameda you know it by name. The Victorian building houses an Alameda Institution, McGee’s Bar and Grill. I am very partial to McGee’s, in part, because owners John and Linda Costello gave me a job when I was in college and more importantly because I always feel like I am at home in this Pub and Bar.

A friend of mine and I started the evening down the street at another bar, but after poor service from the bartender and the wrong drink we headed to McGee’s to salvage the evening. That night, both John and Linda were in the bar and I got a chance to talk to John for about 30 minutes and I realized that for most of my life and all of my adult life McGee’s has been a part of it.

We talked about changes in Alameda since he bought the bar over 30-years ago, at the young age of 25. This place is his life and he treats customers with respect. Linda always add warmth to the place and customers come and go like family. General Manager Tim Goodman works the crowd and make sure that the operation is working for the customer. The staff knows the regulars and what they drink.

McGee’s serves as an informal gathering spot for long-term Alameda residents who have left the Island and want to meet up with old friends. It also seems to serve as the venue for every high school pre- and post- reunion party, no matter if it is five tears for some and three decades for others.

There is always a conversation that is interesting in the bar. Sports are topic one, but any other subject will and does come up. McGee’s has several television for sports enthusiast.

This is a full bar and Brian “Big B” will serve you the perfect cocktail. I have always gotten a solid drink at McGee’s.

The Pub has a diverse menu and I have tried almost everything on it. For an interesting twist try the Lumpia as an appetizer. It is the only bar in the area, that I know of, that serves the Pilipino dish. The fried chicken is out of this world it is spicy crunchy and full of flavor. McGee’s has a variety of burgers and if you do not see the way you want it just ask for any additions and they will fix it how you like. They are pretty open to changes.

McGee’s, unlike other pubs, has a great selection of entrees grilled salmon to tri-tip. The fare is unpretentious and served in a counter style. You order at the cash register and they call your name when the food is ready.

The restaurant is family friendly. A staircase divides the bar from the dining tables and families can come to dine, while Mom and Dad have a cocktail.

I guess for me McGee’s is one of those places that make Alameda, well Alameda. Give a try and you will see why it has survived for 30-years, by treating people like family.

http://www.mcgeesbarandgrill.com/index.php?index.php