Monday, January 07, 2008

A Fire and A Warm Drink


Baileys Irish Cream and Coffee

With four days of rain pounding the West Coast, I have not been out of the house much just trying to stay dry and warm. The rain was also a good excuse to watch two-week marathon of football and the only reason to leave the couch is for food, drink and a comfort break. So I have no new spots to write about today.

But as was stoking the fire the other day, the heat made me a little thirsty and It got me think, "I'm on vacation so why not a cocktail, I know it's 10 am, but hey football has been on for a half an hour" but the day did not call for an ordinary drink.

On a cold, rainy day you have many options: Irish Coffee, Hot Totty, Hot Chocolate and Peppermint Schnapps, Hot Buttered Rum or Rum and Warm Egg Nog. So many choice. First I needed to have the ingredients in the in the house so the Hot Buttered Rum and the
Peppermint Schnapps were out. No way I was leaving the house, plus with Peppermint Schnapps you have to be 19-years old and on a ski trip with your BFF.

I had Egg Nog in the house, but I am not a big fan of the Nog. An Irish Coffee and Totty just seemed over the top; so what was left? The old standby Baileys Irish Cream and Coffee. For me it may be the perfect rainy, cold day drink.

I started by brewing a pot of good coffee, Peet's Fair Trade Blend, a little strong to hold it flavor once you add the Bailey's. I love the smell of coffee brewing. The aroma filled the kitchen.

I like my coffee in a beer pint glass, so as I waited for the brewing process to finish, I put a small portion of Bailey's into the bottom of the glass. Once the coffee was ready the pour. The pour is like watching Yosemite Falls in the Spring, a beautiful sight. The Bailey's swirled in the glass and move to blend with the coffee, symmetry.

The first sip is always the best, because you have waited and anticipated this moment. It was a perfect cocktail for a day that had no agenda, except football. So to those kids that say "Rain, Rain Go Away" . . . I say "hold on a minute and let the adults enjoy the moment."

The fireplace roaring and a warm drink not a bad way to start 2008.