Friday, August 08, 2008

A Bay Oasis

The road trip continues . . . after six day on the road and four cities and 3,000 plus miles flying and another 300 miles plus driving, I got to stop in one of my favorite cities on the East Coast, Annapolis, MD.

For the Alameda readers, they will understand how this little town on the Chesapeake Bay could feel like home with the water, sailboats and lots of people milling about downtown. Besides being the home of the US Naval Academy (GO NAVY, Beat Army) and the Maryland State Capital, Annapolis has some great bars and excellent dinning.

I have been to Annapolis before, so there was one stop I had to make, Buddy’s. I dropped anchor for an after work beer and some of Maryland’s best crab cakes. The drive to Annapolis was worth just that one stop, even though the Washington DC traffic was brutal. The SF Bay Area has nothing to complain about when it comes to traffic. But back to Buddy’s Crab and Ribs, this is a family restaurant that has an all-you-can eat brunch. It is a little on the tourist side, but you can’t beat the crab. I had just the crab appetizer because I wanted to try something new.

I walked around for a while until I gained an appetite. After looking at 8-10 menus, I decided on Maria’s, very traditional looking Italian restaurant. Maria’s Sicilian Ristorante and CafĂ© offers a specialty drinks and I tried the Annapolis Breeze, a drink that they say is unique to restaurant. The drink consist of pomegranate, Gray Goose L’Orange and fruit juices, very refreshing, very much on the orange flavor with the fruit juice.

The food was traditional Italian fare, I had a mix plate that had lasagna and cannelloni and Caesar Salad. The food was very good, tasted was flavorful and well prepared. The place has been voted Best of Annapolis on several occasions. I would highly recommend.

As a day sailor, it was also good to run into a crew just heading into Maria’s for post race Cocktails and food. So I got to talk a little about sailing, have a good drink and dinner all I all a great stop in this very long trip. Back to Alameda soon, one last stop Philadelphia.

http://www.buddysonline.com/

http://www.mariasristorante.com/