Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Dupont Circle


So my travels had me heading North after business in Virginia Beach and Richmond to the Washing DC area. Once I got into town, I was little tired, so I checked into the Hotel and caught a 30 minute nap before heading out for dinner. I have to tell you, that this Bay Area boy is getting a lesson on what humidity is, but more about that latter.

After the Nap I was not sure what I wanted for dinner, so I decided to head out to a busy neighborhood to walk and just find something. I’ve been to DC in the past and so I decided that Dupont Circle would be a good spot wander around to find a meal and a cocktail. I walked around the plaza a little, where people were hanging out around the fountain just trying to cool off. A dozen or so people were playing chess and checkers, and there was even one three card Monty game going on.

I headed down Connecticut and found Café Citron. My server was a warm and helpful woman with a Spanish accent. She explained that everything was made from scratch and suggested a couple of dishes. I took my time to review the menu, but ordered the Sangria right away. It was a warm evening. I decided on the empanadas and the jerk chicken.

The restaurant was decorated with warm colors, colored lights and lots of mirrors. The place had Latin flavored techno music playing in the background. Later in the evening, they switch to live Flamenco music, which mad the place come alive. I had a mojito as a follow-up drink as I listen to the music.

The empanadas were very good, but I was not crazy about the Jerk Chicken. The chicken was over-cooked. The jerk rub and sauce was okay, but the overall dish failed to deliver.

Overall Café Citron was a great environment to relax. I would suggest going for the appetizers, cocktails and the music and stay away from the Jerk Chicken dish.

By the way to finish up on the heat and humidity, as I walked after dinner I found that after one block I was soaking wet. Boy, O’Boy do I miss the San Francisco Fog. More from the DC tomorrow.