Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fever Pitch

Celtics Hit A Big Shot for No. 17

Fever Pitch

Wow, what a great night, a great sports town and great timing to be in Boston for Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

Since I was unable to be at the New Garden for the game it made all the sense in the world to watch the NBA Finals with Celtics fans. I was unsure where to go to watch the game, but I was sure if I went near one of Boston’s sports centers I would find a place. I thought going near the Garden would be tough to get into and out of after the game, so I decided to head towards Fenway Park.

Because I am in town on business, I am staying out in one of the suburbs just West of Downtown, so I decided to take the train down to the Fenway Park to find a watering hole to catch the game and spirit of Boston.

The train ride from the Riverside Station to the Park was nice and easy. I got to the area and took a walk around to find the right bar. Game-On, Boston Beer Works and Cask ‘n Flagon are within a jumpshot of each other so a person has plenty of choices for a place that fits their needs and to settle in for the evening.

I decided on the Cask ‘n Flagon right across the street from Fenway’s legendary Green Monster. I thought this would be a perfect location to watch the game. When I arrived the bar was a little sparse the after work crowd was just arriving and the game crowd had not set out for the evening. It was little strange for me, as a West Coast Person waiting for a 9 O’clock start to the game. But I wanted to have a prime seat for the game, so I decided to have a one-man tailgate. Cocktails, hot wings and nachos were on the pre-game menu.

As tip-off approached the Cask ‘n Flagon filled with a very fevered crowd looking for the Celtics 17th NBA title. One thing I thought I would never see in Boston, was the Red Sox Game being turned off, so they could dedicate the entire bar to the Celtics. A sox fan understands that this was more important. As the announcer began introductions the crowd booed each Laker, saving the largest jeer for Kobe Bryant. As soon as the Celtics intros began the Cheers began roar and the bar was in a fever pitch waiting for the ball to be tossed in the air.

Boston fans are passionate. With every tip of the ball, every turnover, every big shot the crowd was into the action. I have sat in a lot of bars, watching a lot of sports over the years and there are very few times when you feel like you are actually in the area and part of the game. Last night was one of them.

Since I would not ever cheer for a Los Angeles team I zeroed in on cheering for local Bay Area products. Cal alum Leon Powe and Hayward High School’s Eddie House both contributed to the Game 6 blow-out. Eddie hit a couple of big shots and the Boston crowd embraced me as cheered for my local boys. As a kid and a basketball fan I was a big Bill Russell fan, so it was great to see the former USF Don on the sideline.

I got exactly what I expected a great time. Even though I got to bed late and overslept a little this morning it was worth the trip to experience the Championship with the Celtic Fans.




Cask ‘n Flagon is a great bar with televisions everywhere, even in the bathroom so you do not miss the action. I local told me that on Red Sox home games it is almost impossible to get into the Cask ‘n Flagon because people show-up three hours before the game, to watch the action outside the park because they can not get a ticket to be in the park.



The now World Famous Cask’n Flagon began as a small neighborhood bar known as Oliver’s back in 1969, was host to many now famous musicians such as Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Hendrix, and the band Boston. A few years later Oliver’s changed its name to the Cask’n Flagon. Through the years the bar has gone through many changes and was once known as the little bar on the corner of Brookline Avenue.


Cocktails were $6 and draft beers $4. I had the meatloaf for dinner and it was pretty good, they grilled it before they served it to give it a smoke flavor and add skewer marks. The food is typical pub fare. The wings and nachos were good and full of flavor. This place is more about a great crowd than the food and beverages. A must try for any Boston Sporting event.

I have to say thank you to the Boston Fans for treating me so well and letting be a part of their history.



http://www.casknflagon.com/about1.htm