Friday, June 13, 2008

Leave the Taco . . .Have a Beer




Final post about Phoenix . . .

Since I was in the Southwest, I wanted to get a sense of the local flavor so I searched for a good Mexican food restaurant. Before I start, I need to provide a disclaimer that I am very picky about my Mexican food, every restaurant needs to live up to a very high standard when it comes to authenticity and flavor. Simply said it needs to be close to my grandmother’s cooking or it is not acceptable.

I went on a recommendation, from a fellow co-worker, to Tee Pee, 4144 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ. Tee Pee is very old school Americanized Mexican food restaurant, with a large full service bar, televisions that blare the baseball game and large portions of food.
A mixed crowd of trades people to men in suits flowed in for my lunch time visit. A couple of businessmen bellied up to the bar to have a shot of Patrone before heading back to work and the full bar hand plenty of drinkers for the mid-week afternoon drink. Tee Pee offers mini pitchers of draft beer for patrons looking to have a little more than a 12 ounce beer. Drinks in the bar were reasonable $3-$4 for beer and $3-$6 for a mixed drink.

The place was packed for lunch and you may have to wait for a table if you get there during the lunch or dinner rush. I understand that a crowd is very common. The dinning area is very Spartan with a bunch of tables and some booths crammed together. This is not a fine dinning experience; it is noisy and has a bustling pace.

I soon as sat down the server had chips and salsa on the bar. The salsa was well balanced and had great flavor. I was really encouraged by the initial offering. I then ordered a Number 1 (Taco, Tamale, Enchilada, Rice & Beans — 10.50), to get a variety of items and test them out.

So with anticipation, I wait for the food to come out, but I soon as I saw the dish I knew I was in trouble when I saw the plate covered in cheese and the taco overfilled with lettuce. The taco shell just could not handle the weight of everything stuffed inside and as soon as picked it up in began to crumble. The enchilada was okay, something I would have again, but the sauce lacked any punch and it is the sauce that makes a good enchiladas, and this missed the mark. The tamale was dry and lacked any real flavor. Overall the plate was below average.

Overall the experience was very average; this is gringo food nothing more and not worth a special trip. I truly wished I would have found a better representation of the true local Mexican food flavor in an area filled with tradition. Next time I will have to do a little more searching to find a more authentic dining experience. I did like the bar and the drink prices, would definitely hang out to watch a game, have a beer and some chip and salsa.

www.teepeemexicanfood.com

Tee Pee Mexican Food
4144 E Indian School Rd
Phoenix, AZ

(602) 956-0178