Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Best Ride In Town



This mid-morning, I had to go over to San Francisco for my work department's holiday lunch at the Slanted Door. I have eaten at the Slanted Door several times and enjoy the food, no Cocktails on this visit -- work function, but it was the way we got to the restaurant that I enjoyed the most. We took the opportunity to ride the Oakland/Alameda Ferry over to our luncheon. It was the ride over that made me remembered why I like to commute on the Ferry.

First of all no driving and no Bay Bridge may be reason enough to take the ferry, but it is the view that the boat ride gives you is what makes this a special trip. See, I like to take photos and I remembered to bring my camera for the ride over and it gave me the opportunity to shoot a few photos. (To see some of my photos go to my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-alameda/. Link also on the left.)

When you shoot photos you try to find view that very few people see or capture light that gives a shape or object a new feel. So the ferry ride provides this opportunity for a different view, a pleasant trip and if you are so inclined a drink. Coming back from San Francisco, I shot a container ship, with tugs almost the entire way down the estuary. Something I rarely can get close enough to capture a good photo, and today I was able to get a a couple good shots.

So grab you camera, get a drink and find that special spot on the ferry to get your photos.

To stay true to this blog, the Ferry also has a full bar and it the only public transportation in the Bay Area that I know that allows you to drink. So get a drink at the bar and head to the stern of the boat and enjoy the ride. For those of you on a budget, I have brought my own drinks on board for the trip over to AT&T Park for Giants games. I do not think any would notice if you found a spot and had a drink.