Thursday, December 27, 2007

Wine-Ohh

During the Holiday Season, from Thanksgiving to New Years, I tend to drink more wine than the rest of the years, so when it comes to picking wine I am a complete novice. Over the last 20-years, I have given as much wine and alcohol as I have received, but like many people I have no idea what makes a good wine. The only thing I can tell you is what I like.

So this past year I started going to a local wine shop,
Du Vin Fine Wines, around the corner from my home. Dan is always helpful and seems to find the right bottle for the occasion. I just tell him red or white and what I am having for dinner. He take the time, in simple terms, to explain what the bottle should taste like. After a short give and take he directs me to a product that would fit my needs.

For Christmas dinner the red was from La Mozza, a winery from Italy, a
2005 I PERAZZI, MORELLINO DI SCANSANO. Very nice and the bottle was gone halfway through dinner. A very good sign. The white was a Pinot Grigio also from Italy, a CANTINA SANTA MAGDALENA, PINOT GRIGIO, SÜDTIROL - ALTO ADIGE.

Brands and names do not mean a whole lot to me, I put them in for true wine drinkers, but the advice that I got from my local little store made the dinner complete. The Johnny Walker Gold that was under the Christmas tree was also a nice touch, but the wine was a nice finishing touch to the evening with family and friends.


I'm not sure that I will be much more of a wine drinker than I am now, but I am learning. My goal this New Year is to actually write down the wines I drink so I can start a reference for myself for future orders. I may actually become confident in ordering wine at a restaurant.


Check out your local wine shop to add a great touch to your dinner table.


Wine Shop Website

http://duvinfinewines.com/