Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What is the Perfect Movie


Will This Have to Do?

Well the rain is here, but compared to back East with all that snow I feel lucky. Tonight feels like a movie night and I have been thinking what would be the perfect movie for this evening. So tonight, I will fire up the fireplace with a Duraflame and poor myself a tall Scotch and settle in for what the film industry has to offer. Something about Scotch on a cold, winter day that makes the evening perfect, but back to the task at hand, what will go into the DVD player tonight?

Tough call! You could go with a classic or something new. Then there is genre comedy, drama or thriller. What will it be? So I logged into Netflixs to get a few ideas even though I would have to stop by the video store to pick it up for tonight. The first criteria is: I must not have seen the movie. So in the Top 100 it was a bust I had either seen it or just wasn’t interesting enough for this evening. Going with the general population is never a good call, especially if you want something of substance. Let’s just say the general public forked over a $100 Million for “I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.”

So click, over to the critics choice. “The Namesake” looks interesting. Not sure how Kal Penn from “Harold and Kumar: Go to White Castle” will do in a dramatic role, but will put it on the short list. Also “Brothers” caught my attention. Still not sure if I found the right movie.

I decided to look at Best Picture Academy Award winning films to see if they lend any inspiration. I started in the 50’s with a greater hope that I could actually find the film tonight. I was surprised that I had seen most of the movies and with great pride I can say that the few I did not see (The English Patient, Titanic and The Lord of the Rings) I was glad not too. I will not break my vow to never, ever see Titanic.

Out of desperation it is now to Google. The search “Best Movies Ever” produced a list of 1,000 movies from the NY Times. This will take some time . . . okay my ADD kicked in, the list is too long and my attention too short. IMDb has a shorter 250 list. Man! I have seen a lot of movies, almost all 250, probably 200 of them. Still at a lost.

Well at this point the fireplace, the Scotch (an even taller glass than planned) and maybe my Animal House or Fast Times DVD will have to do. I will take any recommendations from you on the best movie for a rainy evening to save this evening.

Stay Dry.